Thursday, February 7, 2013

To Whom This Might Concern

Hi -

I've been thinking about this first post - WHO am I writing to?

Some of my former 4th graders
When I did the blog during my heart surgery experience, my audience consisted of my wonderful 4th graders at Frost Lake Elementary School (see right). I felt as though I was having a conversation with each of them every time I posted. It informed my thinking and my writing about the experience.

For this journey, with the tech integration aspect of the work in mind, my thoughts go to colleagues who have struggled to integrate technology into the classroom. Some have the tools but not the training. Some have inadequate tools in terms of hardware/software, or the infrastructure to utilize them effectively. Some are uncomfortable with "the new," and feel embarrassed to ask for help. Sometimes the help they ask for is delivered in a way that does not make sense to them by folks that never had to bridge the gap between "before technology" and "with technology."

Several years ago - about 15 now - I quit a job that was "tech heavy," for which I felt unprepared and inadequate. I was working with people who were much younger, who did not remember NOT having a gaming system or some kind of technology in their homes, then in their education. I was ashamed for not "getting it," but I didn't even know the right questions to ask to get myself to a better place.

After I had been at my next job, as the communications director for a small non-profit, for about four months, the systems administrator quit one day - IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY - with no warning or notice. I had picked up more than I realized at my previous job - I had been helping my new colleagues with this and that on their computers, mostly little things. The head of the organization asked if I would step in and help with the systems administration duties, which included running the server with about 20 nodes. I knew just enough to get started, and I got hold of manuals and of every single friend I had ever known who knew anything about computers and computer systems to help me.

Now I love it - or mostly. I am learning to love how technology changes constantly; how my students are my teachers most of the time in this arena - they just "get it" without having to translate. I am learning NOT to be embarrassed when I don't know things, because there is SO MUCH I still don't know.

Southeast Asia
So my hope, as I check out how technology is being integrated into the educational experiences of students and educators in various parts of Southeast Asia - from Singapore, where math and science scores lead the world, to a refugee camp in Thailand, where technology is very limited, and places in between - is to consider how technology might be helping make that educational experience more effective, why that matters - and how anyone can do it.

PLEASE leave your thoughts and questions. Every one will help guide and direct!

Selamat tinggal -

Sandy

1 comment: